Saturday, February 11, 2006

Kinen!


Yeah, they don't like you to smoke and walk around here, which I don't quite get. They have
"smokers' havens" around the train stations and prohibit smoking while walking, but pretty much all of the restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. are filled with chain smokers and poor ventilation systems.

Edit: Actually, in Kamakura, I found an even funnier smoking sign that said "When you are walking, a cigarette is at the eyelevel of a small child" and had a picture of a guy almost burning some girl's eye out. I wish I had a photo, but we passed by it too quickly.

YAY! I found a photo on someone's blog, right here!


Edit (Part deux): In Shinjuku, the other day, the smoking patrol was out and about, and unfortunately, I did not have my camera at hand and they seemed like really "don't-mess-with-them" type of guys. Basically, it was a group of five middle-aged dudes in blue jackets with "Kinen" signs on them yelling out of a megaphone at people to stop smoking. A couple of blocks later an old guy grumbled, lit a ciggie and promptly ashed it onto the the shoe of a passerby (not purposely). You can't make this stuff up, I tell you.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've taken a lot of pics!
i've never been there for the oni day
talk to you later
inho

February 16, 2006 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina!
Wow I guess they think people can't do 2 things at 1 time.
Nona

February 19, 2006 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home