Monday, June 26, 2006

Indoor fishing

All I know is that I think this concept would be a huge hit in the States and I probably shouldn't publicize it here lest someone steal my vision for the greatest restaurant ever, but here goes. So there's a restaurant, right, and in the middle of the restaurant is a boat shaped seating area. There are also bridges throughout the eatery. Why? Because the boat and the restaurant is surrounded by water; in essence, a giant fish tank with at least a hundred fish living mildly content lives for about a few hours. Because then, the diners will hook a bit of shrimp on a simple bamboo pole and catch them. In theory you place the flapping fish in a net and a waiter takes it away. When it returns, it is prepared as you like it: as sashimi, grilled, fried, broiled. You name it.

So it was an awesome way to spend my last night in Tokyo. I caught a fish, attempted to hold it up in order to get a photo with the fish; it escaped much to the chagrin of the waitstaff. And then Jeremy caught it again and we were able to catch the same fish anew. It was exceedingly delicious, broiled in a casing of rock salt, served alongside other izakaya type specialties. Can you beat that idea? Nah, didn't think so.

It was Mother's Day when we went, so many families were treating their moms to a night of no cooking. The atmosphere was jovial and festive, full of bottles of sake and pints of Kirin. Let me just say for the record, that I did not participate in a "catch and release program," despite the libelous statements of certain others.




Those wanting to experience the fishing restaurant themselves (
Zauo, several locations) feel free to do so, but do not import this idea to the States on penalty of my fury. Thank you.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel in Tokyo said...

you are so funny. "libelous other statements", and then you linked to my page? Nice touch, I must say...

June 26, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home