Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Perfect day in Bintan, Indonesia

Another place I visited during my spring break was Bintan, Indonesia, in the Riau archipelago, about an hour ferry ride from Singapore. There I spent an overnight at the Nirwana Resort Hotel, a fantastic place with a huge pool with a swim-up bar, friendly staff, and hotel rooms right on the beach. It was a lot cooler on the island, and there was plenty of time for snorkeling, lounging by the pool, taking walks along the beach, etc.


While usually I like to see as much as I can during a vacation, I realized that I needed a break, so I spent the whole of my two days at the resort, catching up on my sun and swim, ordering room service and watching movies. It made me feel a twinge guilty when I learned that the Bintan resorts are actually a colony of Singapore. While the rest of the island was teeming with cultural excursions and architecture, I just hung out and drank coconut drinks, something that really isn't my style. But it was fantastic. While I detailed my experience getting back from the island that wasn't quite so pleasant, my time on Bintan was great. After coming back from a day of sunning on the beach, I was happily astonished to find that my favorite TV show was on the air! I even took a photo to commemorate the occasion. Alas, I am now back in Japan and will not be able to catch anymore episodes, but I will comfort myself with wacky Japanese wrestling shows and game shows which I will surely miss when I am back in the States.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home