Saturday, May 06, 2006

Last day in Ginza


Well, it hit me again that I was leaving as I walked down the streets of the Ginza, the poshest shopping district of Japan for the last time today. I paid homage (and money) to my favorite store in Japan, Kyukyodo, a paper store that has existed in Ginza since 1880. Kyukyodo my personal paradise, with every sheet of handmade, fine-pressed paper like a new friend, a chance for a new beginning. So most of you back home getting souveniers from me will be getting something from Kyukyodo. Today I bought poster-sized sheets of washi (和紙) tougher paper made from wood pulp. My 和紙 depicts beautiful Japanese scenes with cranes in flight, a gorgeous castle, and traditional kabuki players. I can't wait to display them at home along with my new gold paper fan and tons of other products to store knickknacks.

Ginza has every classy store imaginable, from the hateful Louis Vuitton to the lovely and crazily expensive Mikimoto, and lots of bakeries with intricate pastries and sweets and florists with hugely blossoming bouquets of hydrangea and lilies. During the weekends, they shut down the main thoroughfare and throngs of shoppers convene at umbrella-covered tables to compare their items and take in the neon and people-watching.

I'll miss you, Ginza!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home